- Member for
- 4 years 1 month
DULUTH—Three defendants will stand trial on first-degree murder charges in last year's fatal shooting of a Duluth college student. Sixth Judicial District Judge Mark Munger recently denied motions to dismiss the grand jury indictments against 22-year-old Deandre Demetrius Davenport, 19-year-old Noah Anthony Charles King and 20-year-old Noah Duane Baker.
DULUTH — A jury has found that former University of Minnesota Duluth women's hockey coach Shannon Miller was subjected to sex discrimination and retaliation when her contract was not renewed after 16 seasons at the school. The jury awarded Miller $3.74 million. The panel of eight women and four men reached the verdict this afternoon at the federal courthouse in downtown Duluth. They started deliberating at 11:30 a.m. after hearing closing arguments from either side on the eighth day of the trial.
DULUTH, Minn.—University of Minnesota Duluth Chancellor Lendley Black sat in the front row of a courtroom Tuesday, surrounded by fellow school officials and supporters. On the opposite side sat his predecessor, Kathryn Martin, accompanied by past players and supporters of former women's hockey coach Shannon Miller. If the seating arrangement didn't provide a clear juxtaposition, their trips to the witness stand would.
DULUTH, Minn.—A jailhouse informant provided crucial information that helped investigators arrest five suspects in last year's fatal shooting of a Duluth college student, newly filed documents reveal. The "primary source" of information pertaining to the February 2017 death of William Grahek came from an inmate who reportedly received a confession from one of the three men present at the crime scene, according to briefs filed this month by defense attorneys.
TWO HARBORS, Minn.—Soon after a federal agency pulled his commercial trucking license and a judge ordered him not to drive, John Ray Carpenter was back behind the wheel. The owner-operator of a Hibbing, Minn., septic services company, Carpenter had a documented history of sleep apnea that resulted in at least six crashes in recent years and dozens of violations of federal regulations. But even after he blacked out at the wheel of his tanker in October 2015, crossing the centerline and killing an oncoming motorist, Carpenter disobeyed orders to stay off the road.
DULUTH, Minn.—A surprise defense involving an alternative shooter derailed a Duluth murder trial almost as soon as it got underway Tuesday, Jan 23. Sixth Judicial District Judge David Johnson declared a mistrial in the case of 43-year-old Aaron Demetrius Humphreys before the first witness even took the stand. Prosecutors objected to the opening statement from defense attorney Kassius Benson, who argued that it was another man who fatally shot 47-year-old Eric Wayne Burns at the front door of Lincoln Park's Bedrock Bar in October 2016.
DULUTH, Minn.—Two suspects accused of aiding in last year's fatal shooting of a Duluth college student during an alleged robbery can proceed to trial, a judge ruled. In separate orders issued last week, 6th Judicial District Judge Mark Munger upheld felony charges against Tara Rai Baker and Xavier Alfred Haywood in the February 2017 death of 22-year-old William Grahek.
DULUTH, Minn.—The Duluth man accused of a fatal shooting outside a Lincoln Park bar in October 2016 will head to trial next month. Aaron Demetrius Humphreys, 43, faces an intentional second-degree murder charge in the death of 47-year-old Eric Wayne Burns, who authorities said was gunned down moments after the two men were involved in a barroom dispute.
DULUTH, Minn.—The woman accused of serving as the getaway driver for a trio of suspects in the death of a Duluth college student was "adamant" that she was the person behind the wheel immediately before and after the shooting, said prosecutors in a brief filed this week. That contradicts arguments from defense attorneys who are seeking dismissal of the charges against of 23-year-old Tara Rai Baker.
DULUTH — A second defendant in the slaying of a Duluth college student is seeking to have his case dismissed, while three others want further access to the grand jury proceedings that resulted in first-degree murder indictments. Four of the five defendants charged in connection with the Feb. 14 fatal shooting of 22-year-old WIlliam Grahek appeared in state district court on Monday, Nov. 20.