2022 Superior Telegram All-Area Baseball Team
This year's squad includes six seniors, two juniors and three sophomores.
SUPERIOR — While the 2022 Superior Telegram All-Area Baseball Team boasts a majority of seniors, a handful of juniors and sophomores join them and will carry the mantle into the 2022-2023 baseball season.
The sophomores, all from powerhouse Northwood/Solon Springs, include 2022 Player of the Year Abe Ahlberg and teammates Kaden Corlett and Tanner Carlson.
Luke Sedin and Jase Nelson of Northwestern are the juniors on the squad.
The seniors include Syver Gulbrandsen of N/SS; Mason Stenberg, Robert Olson, Carter Kalin and Kell Piggott of Superior; and Kole Paulsen of Northwestern.
Ahlberg, Stenberg and Paulsen are back-to-back selections.
- Led the Green Eagles in batting average (.474), runs scored (35), hits (36), runs batted in (33), stolen bases (18) and on-base plus slugging (1.399).
- On the mound, Ahlberg was 7-1 with a 0.99 earned run average, 85 strikeouts, 26 walks, a .124 batting average against and 1.02 walks and hits per inning pitched.
- Lakeland East Conference Player of the Year; Wisconsin Baseball Coaches Association North West District Player of the Year.
- Coach Nate Ahlberg said Abe Ahberg's impact on the team "cannot be underestimated ... Abe was the best overall player in our conference and one of the best in our area."
- Fourth on the team in batting average (.273), hits (18), RBI (21) and OPS (0.733); third in runs (18).
- First team all Lakeland East Conference
- Gulbrandsen spent most of the season in the outfield and served as an excellent defender, coach Nate Ahlberg said. Offensively, Gulbrandsen "hit clean-up most of the year and was one of our top run-producers," Ahlberg said.
- Posted a .317 batting average; hit six doubles.
- Second team all Lake Superior Conference.
- Coach Ryan Hendry said Kalin was the team's "most important player positionally," with a .968 fielding percentage as the Spartans' starting catcher.
- Averaged .360 at the plate.
- First team all Lake Superior Conference.
- Olson started all 19 games for the Spartans, Hendry said. On the mound, he threw the team's only complete game shutout this season, and was "very sound defensively as our starting shortstop," Hendry said.
- Second on the team in batting average at .373; recorded a .507 on-base percentage.
- First team all Heart O' North Conference; WBCA North West District honorable mention.
- Defensively, Paulsen was a wall behind the plate, coach Ryan Teal said. "Balls didn't get past him and very few runners tried to take bases on him," Teal said. "When they did, they usually failed."
- Posted the lowest ERA for the Spartans at .368 through 19 innings of work.
- Piggott's versatility shined this year as he "started all 19 games at a variety of positions," Hendry said.
- Batted .333 with three home runs.
- Notched a 2-1 record pitching with a 2.47 ERA.
- Second team all Lake Superior Conference.
- As the ace of the Spartan pitching staff, Stenberg "always had the ball when we faced our toughest teams," Hendry said.
- Third for the Tigers in batting average at .351; recorded a .532 OBP; hit one home run.
- Second team all Heart O' North Conference.
- Nelson was solid defensively for the Tigers in centerfield, Teal said: "He has great range."
- Led the team in batting average (.375) and RBIs (24); was second in stolen bases (18).
- On the mound, Sedin notched a 1.64 ERA with 48 strikeouts.
- First team all Heart O' North Conference.
- Sedin was the Tigers' ace, Teal said, as he "pitched the most innings for us this season."
Soph. • 1B/P
- Third on the team in batting average (.382), hits (26), RBIs (22), stolen bases (6) and OPS (.917); fourth in runs (17).
- His record pitching was 8-0 with a 1.49 ERA, 61 strikeouts, 23 walks, a 0.178 BAA and 1.22 WHIP.
- First team all Lakeland East Conference.
- "Tanner did a great job at 1B this year and did an even better job on the mound," coach Nate Ahlberg said. He pointed to Carlson's relief work against Bloomer, which ended in an extra-innings victory, as well as his pitching against Drummond and Siren in the regional and sectional semifinal games, respectively.
- Second on the team in batting average (.470), runs (20), hits (31), RBIs (30), doubles (10), home runs (2), stolen bases (10) and OPS (1.282).
- On the mound, Corlett was 3-2 with a 1.55 ERA, 63 strikeouts, 21 walks, a 0.153 BAA and 1.13 WHIP.
- First team all Lakeland East Conference; WBCA North West District honorable mention.
- "Kaden started all of our big games in the regular season and proved he's one of the best pitchers in Northern Wisconsin," coach Nate Ahlberg said. "His overpowering fastball and breaking ball stymied batters from Division 4 to Division 1."