Many local organizations in need of volunteers include: Foster Grandparent The Foster Grandparent Program seeks men and women ages 60 and older to tutor and mentor children within the Superior schools and Family Forum Head Start centers. Foster G...

Many local organizations in need of volunteers include:

Foster Grandparent

The Foster Grandparent Program seeks men and women ages 60 and older to tutor and mentor children within the Superior schools and Family Forum Head Start centers. Foster Grandparents assist students in learning math and reading, and spend time listening, sharing and helping children learn life skills. Foster Grandparents receive a non-taxable stipend, transportation reimbursement, recognition and support, ongoing training and social activities. The program is sponsored by Catholic Charities Bureau, Diocese of Superior. Call 394-5384 or e-mail .

Harbor House Shelter

Harbor House Crisis Shelter needs volunteers to help provide a safe, hospitable shelter for homeless single women or families with legal custody of minor children and attain housing. Volunteers are needed to staff the shelter in the evening, overnight and weekends. Help is also needed during the day. Training and flexible shifts available. Call Melanie 1-6 p.m. Fridays at 392-3637.


Royalton Manor

Royalton Manor, 1900 New York Ave., Superior, is looking for volunteers to help with bingo at 2 p.m. Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays. Call 392-1014 for details.

St. Francis in the Park

St. Francis in the Park Health and Rehabilitation Center has the following volunteer opportunities available: In-house store clerks, outdoors companions, shopping for residents, hosting a weekly activity based on an interest or hobby, assisting with bingo games or bus outings, entertaining with a special talent, Welcome Wagon volunteer and answering phones. Call Chris Fitch at 394-5591.

Superior Vocations Center

Superior Vocations Center, Inc., in conjunction with the Superior/Douglas County Literacy Council, seeks tutors to work with individuals with low reading, spelling and math skills. The council provides training. Call Tom Karas at 392-6171.


Center Against Sexual & Domestic Abuse is seeking on-call volunteer advocates to provide victim services after hours. Services include advocating at the hospitals and offering follow-up services. Be on-call one week out of the month with mileage paid. Training provided. Call 392-3136.



The Retired and Senior Volunteer Program is looking for individuals age 55 and over who enjoy being with children and are willing spend time reading stories, baking cookies, playing, gardening, sharing hobbies and crafts, etc. with them. Volunteers determine how often they will volunteer. They receive insurance coverage while volunteering, transportation reimbursement, training, recognition and other social events. Call 394-4425 for more information on this or other volunteer opportunities.

Community Services

Northwest Wisconsin Community Services Agency needs volunteers to help in the free store, food shelf, soup kitchen or homeless programs. Call 392-5127.

Animal Rescue

Animal Rescue Federation seeks volunteers to work with animals or provide foster homes. Stop by the care center at 2225 Hill Ave., for an application or call 394-PETS.

DAV Transportation

The Disabled American Veterans Transportation Program needs volunteers to drive veterans from the Superior Veterans Administration Clinic to the Minneapolis VA Medical Center for appointments. Local drivers are also needed. For more information, call 398-2957, or visit the VA Clinic and ask for Richard Nolan.


Historical Society

The Douglas County Historical Society needs volunteers to help with programs, archival research, cataloging collection artifacts and photos, and helping create exhibits. Call 392-8449, stop by 1101 John Ave., between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Monday-Friday, or e-mail at .

Superior Senior Center

Senior volunteers are needed from 12:30 to 4 p.m. Wednesdays and Fridays to help with bingo. Contact the center, 1527 Tower Ave., or call 394-3644.

St. Mary's of Superior

St. Mary's Hospital of Superior needs volunteers to work with patients, serve as receptionists or staff the Koffee Knook. Morning and afternoon positions are available, and men or women of any age are welcome to apply. Call the volunteer office at 395-5400, ext. 7109 or visit the office on the lower level of the hospital in the morning Monday-Friday.

Bong WWII Center

Volunteers are needed at the Richard I. Bong WWII Heritage Center in Superior, which is dedicated to the memory of Major Bong and all the men and women of World War II. The center currently needs volunteers to work throughout the Heritage Center, sharing their knowledge with visitors, assisting the curator, working in the research library, taking part in educational programs, assisting administration and helping visitors in the gift shop. Call 392-7151.

* * *

Organizations in need of volunteers can be listed here. Call Dina Maki at the Foster Grandparent Program. Submit your requests by phone at 394-5384, e-mail at . or fax 394-5951. Requests must contain the name of the organization, a phone number and a brief description of need.

What To Read Next