Superior Telegram takes home awards
The Wisconsin Newspaper Association announced the winners of its annual Better Newspaper Contest recently, and the staff of the Superior Telegram took home several awards.
In the weekly newspapers with circulations of 2,500 to 3,999 division, the Telegram took home the following awards:
- Jed Carlson, first place, sports photo for "UW-Superior soccer"
- Jed Carlson, first place, spot news photo for "Fire causes $10M damage"
- Jed Carlson, first place, feature photo for "Best summer ever"
- Ken Olson, second place, sports feature story for " UWS melting pot "
- Ken Olson, third place, sports news story for " O'Handley wins his 700th game "
- Shelley Nelson, third place, environmental reporting for " Oak wilt detected in Bayfield, Douglas counties "
- Jed Carlson and Maria Lockwood, third place, all around newspaper photography.
- Telegram staff, third place, general excellence.
The 2019 Better Newspaper Contest included stories and photographs published between Sept. 1, 2018 and August 31, 2019. A total of 106 newspapers submitted 2,533 entries across six divisions.