Superior teens wage foam war
They may be armed, but they're not dangerous. A host of Superior High School students expect to roam the city over the next few days, tagging opponents with foam darts. About 80 students, divided into teams of five, have signed up to take part in...
They may be armed, but they’re not dangerous. A host of Superior High School students expect to roam the city over the next few days, tagging opponents with foam darts. About 80 students, divided into teams of five, have signed up to take part in the 2015 Superior NERF War.
"We wanted to have a NERF war to create a positive event for young adults in the town," said Brandon Moe, commissioner for the event. "It’s supposed to be a way for us to socialize and have fun with our friends without alcohol or drugs which unfortunately some kids do, especially in the summers."
The battle began Tuesday and ends on June 26. "Kills" are being tracked on Twitter at @SuperiorNERF. Rules and team rosters can be found on the website superiornerfwar.squarespace.com.
"The event is a lot of fun," said Moe, a 2015 graduate of Superior High School. "There is nothing like chasing down another player or running through a park avoiding a tag. If you are with the right people, it can be very intense."
Students attempted a NERF war last year, but shut it down due to poor choices by some of the participants. Sgt. John Kiel with the Superior Police Department said last year’s players, including his son, were very disappointed.
"It’s funny how we want kids to put down their phones and get outside and do things, and then stop them from doing things like this," Kiel said.
This year’s shooter roster is less than half the size of last year’s, with a list of rules in place to prevent it from being shuttered. It includes using only easily-identifiable NERF guns and not shooting players at their place of work, on school property, at school-sponsored events or from moving cars. Shots can’t be taken at graduation parties or anywhere the shooter is trespassing.
NERF war battles at Central Park and along North 23rd Street sparked concern and led to 911 calls Tuesday night, according to Superior Police Department records. Officers who responded advised the teens to call it a night.
Kiel suggested the teams set up specific spots and times to wage their battle, so it’s not going on all over the city.
"I think the more spread out it is, the more likely problems will arise," he said.
There were no calls on NERF disturbances Wednesday, according to police records.
"People are being more conscientious of the rules this year for sure," Moe said. "We still have debates on if a ‘kill’ was legitimate and that’s understandable but we really wanted to stress safety. People are following traffic rules and city ordinances much better this year."
The fact that these teens are taking part in a team-building, student-led activity doesn’t give them a free pass, however.
"We aren’t looking for special privileges from anyone," Moe said. "If there is a problem it should be handled like any other. We just want people aware that if you see people that were in high school this year with NERF guns, it’s us having fun."