ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Statewide investigation into clergy, faith leader abuse has received nearly 180 reports

DOJ says nearly 40 people reported abuse for the first time.

Bible and cross

The state Department of Justice says they’ve received nearly 180 reports of abuse by faith leaders or of mishandling of abuse claims by religious organizations.

Attorney General Josh Kaul released an update Wednesday, Oct. 27, about the statewide investigation into clergy and faith leader abuse that his office launched in April.

The inquiry has been hindered by some Catholic dioceses not wanting to participate, with some leaders saying past cases of sexual abuse have already been reviewed by legal authorities.

As of July, the investigation had received more than 100 reports. On Wednesday, the DOJ provided some details about the additional 80 reports received since this summer.

In a press release Wednesday, Kaul said around 80% of the reports his office received were of abuse. The other 20% involved how a religious organization responded to reports of abuse.

ADVERTISEMENT

RELATED: Wisconsin AG seeks survivors of clergy abuse for statewide review

The update said the reports of abuse have concerned clergy and leaders from multiple religious organizations, as well as abuse not related to faith groups. The release also said reports have involved "alleged abusers from every Catholic diocese in Wisconsin."

Kaul said in the release that reports came from people in a wide range of ages, from those who are under 18 years old to people over 75.

Nearly 40 reports came from individuals who had not previously reported alleged abuse to law enforcement or a religious authority.

"Thank you to the courageous people who have come forward to provide information about clergy and faith leader abuse," Kaul said in a statement. "This review seeks to help bring healing to survivors and to help stop future harm, and we continue to encourage survivors and others with information to report."

DOJ is continuing to encourage survivors, family, friends and advocates to report information on abuse or possible concealment of abuse to the agency online or by phone at 1-877-222-2620.

Wisconsin Public Radio can be heard locally on 91.3 KUWS-FM and at wpr.org .

Wisconsin Public Radio, Copyright 2021, Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System and Wisconsin Educational Communications Board.

What To Read Next
Researchers at UW-Madison are generating decarbonized fuels from plant material to create a more sustainable transportation sector.
Outside groups, which in recent years have raised enormous sums to fund campaigns, are largely waiting until after the Feb. 21 primary before backing a candidate.
As reported by Douglas County Circuit Court.
The latest estimate by the Legislature's nonpartisan budget office is on top of $1.7B in the state's rainy day fund.