SUBSCRIBE NOW AND SAVE 3 months just 99 ¢/month

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Proctor police finish investigation into football team 'misconduct'

The police department plans to send its reports on what authorities have referred to as "student misconduct" early this week.

100921.N.DNT.PROCTOR.C05.jpg
The logo for the Proctor athletic teams hangs on a building containing the concession stands and entrance gates seen during homecoming activities at Terry Egerdahl Field in Proctor on Wednesday, Oct. 6, 2021. Clint Austin / Duluth News Tribune
CLINT AUSTIN

DULUTH, Minn. — After several weeks of investigation, the Proctor Police Department is preparing to send its reports on what authorities have referred to as "student misconduct" on the school's football team to the juvenile county attorney.

"Reports were worked on over the weekend and (we) are planning on sending this to the juvenile county attorney early this week," Proctor Chief Kent Gaidis said in an emailed response Monday evening, Oct. 18.

The St. Louis County Attorney's Office will determine if charges are to be filed.

Authorities have yet to comment on the nature of the allegations, citing privacy issues. It has been nearly a month since the investigation began.

Football activities for Proctor players in grades 9-12 were canceled in September.

ADVERTISEMENT

Last week, the Proctor School Board accepted a separation agreement with head coach Derek Parendo in which he will resign “all positions” with the district, according to Superintendent John Engelking.

Parendo is currently on a paid “personal leave of absence,” Engelking said, until the end of the 2021-22 school year when his resignation will take effect.

THE STORY SO FAR:

Related Topics: PROCTOR
What to read next
St. Paul-based charitable foundation sits on at least $1B in assets
The shooting remains under investigation, and no suspects had been arrested as of 6 p.m. Sunday.
The FBI alleges in search warrant affidavits that Feeding Our Future, the state’s largest independent sponsor of federal food programs, submitted false reimbursement records and conspired with business owners who stole and laundered funds as part of a “massive fraud” involving shell companies, kickbacks and dozens of bank accounts.
According to court documents, Mercy intended to turn off her husband’s ventilator at noon on Jan. 13. Anne, who felt the hospital was not exploring other treatment options beyond the protocols, was granted a restraining order and had him transferred to a Houston hospital.