We see that you have javascript disabled. Please enable javascript and refresh the page to continue reading local news. If you feel you have received this message in error, please contact the customer support team at 1-833-248-7801.



Oliver Bridge to close for inspection

The bridge will reopen when work is not taking place.

Oliver Bridge
The Oliver Bridge over the St. Louis River. The double-deck bridge carries railroad traffic on its top deck and cars and trucks on its lower.
File / Duluth News Tribune
We are part of The Trust Project.

DULUTH — The Oliver Bridge will be closed for inspection from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 21, through Friday, Sept. 23. The bridge is located over the St. Louis River at the junction of Wisconsin Highway 105 in Oliver and Minnesota Highway 39 in Gary New Duluth.

The bridge will not close until 8 a.m. each day, and all equipment will be removed so the bridge can reopened to traffic by 4:30 p.m., according to a release from the Minnesota Department of Transportation.

Changeable message signs will be in place to let bridge users know about the upcoming daytime closures. The signs will remain in place until the inspection work is completed.

Our newsroom occasionally reports stories under a byline of "staff." Often, the "staff" byline is used when rewriting basic news briefs that originate from official sources, such as a city press release about a road closure, and which require little or no reporting. At times, this byline is used when a news story includes numerous authors or when the story is formed by aggregating previously reported news from various sources. If outside sources are used, it is noted within the story.
What to read next
UWS reported a total headcount of 2,682 this fall, a 4% increase over 2021 numbers.
As reported by Douglas County Circuit Court.
Read the latest news in the Dispatches from Douglas County newsletter published every Friday.
From the Sept. 25, 1967 Telegram: "A Superior boy who was trapped and buried alive under sand from a cave-in was released Monday from Superior Memorial Hospital, less than 24 hours after the incident in which rescuers dug the boy out by using their hands."