Construction to begin on US 53 in Douglas County
WisDOT plans repairs from Douglas County M to the railroad tracks north of Solon Springs.
SUPERIOR — Construction gets underway Monday, Aug. 8, to repair an aging segment of U.S. Highway 53 in Douglas County.
The work will take place from Douglas County Highway M to the railroad tracks north of Solon Springs, according to a news release. During construction, the highway will remain open to one lane of traffic in each direction, the news release said. Construction is scheduled for completion in mid-October, weather permitting.
Gov. Tony Evers signed a $6.88 million contract with prime contractor Chippewa Concrete Services Inc. of Chippewa Falls for the resurfacing project, according to the news release.
During the project, the Wisconsin Department of Transportation’s plans include:
- Repair concrete along the entire length of the project.
- Place asphalt over the northbound lanes of the roadway from East Nyquist Road to the railroad tracks north of Solon Springs.
- Mill and overlay the shoulders and turn lanes along the entire length of the project.
- Repair or replace culverts.
- Replace guardrail around the bridge over the railroad tracks north of Solon Springs.
- Replace the concrete approach slabs on the south side of the north- and southbound US 53 bridges over the railroad tracks.
For more information regarding traffic impacts, transportation news and improvement project, visit the Northwest region’s 511 website at projects.511wi.gov .