The Superior Fire Department responded to a restroom fire at Superior High School Wednesday, Jan. 22. at about 1:15 p.m. No injuries were reported, said Battalion Chief Bob Zimmerman.

The fire started in the stall of a boys restroom off the commons area of the high school. Part of a toilet paper dispenser and part of the toilet seat appeared to be on fire, Principal Rick Flaherty said. The fire appeared to have been lit intentionally, Zimmerman said.

When the fire alarm went off, Flaherty said he followed protocol to check that the area was clear of students. He happened to be near the restroom and started there. Seeing the fire, he stayed in the restroom and called on the radio for a staff member to bring an extinguisher.

Flaherty was able to safely extinguish the fire with a dry chemical extinguisher by the time firefighters arrived.

"When we responded, we were essentially providing ventilation to the building. There was not a lot of active fire, but quite a bit of smoke," Zimmerman said.

The fire department left the scene at 1:52 p.m. Students and staff evacuated the building, but were allowed into unaffected areas after about 15 minutes.

"The students did a great job in handling the situation," Flaherty said. "We're glad it was a day that wasn't bitterly cold, and we are going to continue with operations as normal for the rest of the week.