Classes at Great Lakes Elementary School were disrupted for 25 minutes Thursday, Sept. 12, when smoke from a malfunctioning piece of equipment led to an evacuation of the school.

No injuries were reported.

The school’s fire alarm sounded at 11:52 a.m., according to a letter Principal Ryan Haroldson sent to parents. Once all students were out of the building, smoke was seen coming from the school’s food storage room.

Students were evacuated to the nearby United Presbyterian Church per the school crisis plan.

Both the Superior Fire Department and Police responded. Firefighters determined the smoke was coming from an overheated compressor motor on one of the coolers in the kitchen, according to Battalion Chief Steve Edwards.

"It wasn't a fire," he said, but smoke from the machine tripped the alarm.

“All we really did was help them decide what it was and then disconnect the power," Edwards said. "Then they called the repair guy to come fix it.”

By 12:15 p.m., teachers and students were allowed to return to the building and resume the day. Firefighters cleared the scene at 12:24 p.m.

“I want to thank the Superior Police Department, Superior Fire Department, the United Presbyterian Church and our Great Lakes staff and students for following safety protocols and keeping everyone safe,” Haroldson said.