Debit cards deliver child support funds
A state child support program piloted in St. Croix County is going statewide, according to officials with the Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development. Called Wisconsin Support Collections Debit Card, it is being rolled out across the state ...
A state child support program piloted in St. Croix County is going statewide, according to officials with the Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development. Called Wisconsin Support Collections Debit Card, it is being rolled out across the state this week after it proved to be popular in both St. Croix and Jefferson counties.
It provides individuals who receive child support the option to receive the money on a Visa debit card. After child support is paid to the state by the other parent, the recipient will be able to access the money at either an ATM or any business that takes Visa.
"The goal is for the state to get rid of paper checks," said Katy Kapaun, administrator for the St. Croix County child support agency.
"Thanks to this new program, parents will no longer have to wait for checks to arrive in the mail or pay often-high check cashing fees," said Roberta Gassman, DWD secretary.
DWD had planned to implement the program across the state in January, but the program was so popular in the pilot counties the decision was made to switch sooner. Gassman said DWD had received calls from residents of other counties asking when they could get their card.
In St. Croix County, there was a large number of program participants who had direct deposit, but among those who didn't, most wanted the debit card, Kapaun said.
"Once the news got out, we actually got calls from child support customers wanting to switch to debit cards from the check," she said. "It was a very positive experience for people."
In St. Croix County 37 percent of the approximate 3,200 child care customers had direct deposit and the other 63 percent got the debit card.
Persons who are currently on direct deposit can transfer to the debit card or if they have the debit card, they can switch to direct deposit. Kapaun noted that it also helps when a customer moves because if they forget to notify DWD of their new address, they still get their money.
Individuals receiving child care who have questions regarding the new program should contact their county child support office.