The Woodbury boy thrown from a Mall of America balcony is home after nearly five months in the hospital.

The family posted a Tuesday, Sept. 3, update on their GoFundMe page saying they had great news to share about the 5-year-old boy, who has been identified only as Landen.

"We are pleased to share that our son completed his inpatient rehabilitation and is now home. We are so thankful, and we rejoice in the Lord’s blessings to our family," they said.

The post thanked those who had prayed for them and those who donated more than $1 million to help with medical expenses.

"You helped to give us hope and show us the glory of God’s great love here on earth even during the darkest of days," the family said.

The next phase of recovery includes outpatient rehabilitation for multiple injuries and adjusting to life back at home and school.

On Aug. 1, the family said Landen had moved from intensive care at Children’s Hospital in Minneapolis to another hospital for inpatient rehabilitation. He had been at Children's ever since he was thrown from a third-floor balcony by 24-year-old Emmanuel Aranda on April 12.

Emmanuel Deshawn Aranda
Emmanuel Deshawn Aranda

Landen's injuries suffered in the 40-foot fall resulted in more than 15 separate medical procedures or surgeries, including surgeries for two broken arms and a broken leg, removal of his spleen, procedures for fluid in his lungs and stomach, as well as for facial and skull fractures and serious complications with his damaged liver.

Aranda later pleaded guilty to attempted premeditated first-degree murder and was sentenced in Hennepin County District Court to 19 years in prison.

The Minneapolis man told investigators he went to the Bloomington mall “looking for someone to kill” after women he approached there had rejected his advances. He said he had planned to kill an adult before choosing the child instead.

Aranda’s family said he suffered from mental illness, though his lawyer never raised that as a defense.

On Friday, Aranda apparently filed a court notice to appeal his conviction, though further details weren’t available Tuesday night.

Landen's family has insisted on privacy throughout the ordeal and continued to ask for it as they try to get back to normal.

"We know there is great interest in our son and our story. We respectfully ask that you allow us time and continued privacy during this great transition," they said.