ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Blaze destroys Superior garage

Heat from the fire also damaged a nearby fence and siding on a neighboring home.

061920.N.DNT.SUPGARAGEFIRE.C02.jpg
Crews respond Wednesday evening to a garage fire at 1815 Ogden Avenue in Superior. (Clint Austin / caustin@duluthnews.com)

The Superior Fire Department responded to a garage fire that was started by embers from a backyard campfire on Wednesday, June 17. No injuries were reported, according to a news release from Battalion Chief Howard Huber.

The blaze was reported at 8:36 p.m. in the alley behind 1816 Ogden Ave. When crews arrived three minutes later, they found the garage fully engulfed in flames. The fire was quickly extinguished, but the garage and its contents were a total loss. Heat from the fire also damaged siding on a neighboring home and an adjacent fence. Crews cleared the scene at 9:34 p.m.

The fire did an estimated $8,500 in damage. The fire was caused by smoldering embers from a recreational campfire that reignited, according to Huber. He encouraged residents to make sure any backyard fires are at least 15 feet away from combustibles and to be cautious with detritus left over from a fire.

"Burning embers can smolder for a long time, so make sure you soak everything well," Huber said.

Superior firefighters also responded to a dumpster fire that was reported at 11:09 p.m. Wednesday at the Virginia L. Deetz Community Center, which houses the Boys and Girls Club of Superior. The fire was small, Huber said, and no cause was determined.

ADVERTISEMENT

Maria Lockwood covers news in Douglas County, Wisconsin, for the Superior Telegram.
What To Read Next
Get Local

ADVERTISEMENT