Weather Forecast


Rollover, other incidents keep SFD moving Monday

One man was cited for operating while intoxicated and other violations after he lost control of his truck and rolled off a Bong Bridge ramp onto Susquehanna Avenue in Superior on Monday night.

Around 8 p.m. Monday, the Superior Police Department, Superior Fire Department and Gold Cross Ambulance responded to Susquehanna Avenue at the Bong Bridge overpass for a reported rollover, according to a news release issued by Superior Deputy Chief Matt Markon. When officers arrived, they found one man trapped inside a pickup truck. The truck had rolled off the eastbound lanes of the Bong Bridge ramp and come to rest with its passenger side on the ground.

Superior firefighters extricated the driver. First responders reported he smelled of alcohol, according to a Superior police report. When questioned in the ambulance, he said he had been drinking.

The driver, a 44-year-old Eastman, Wis. man, was taken to Essentia Health-St. Mary's Medical Center in Duluth with non-life threatening injuries. Markon said he was treated and released.

The truck was destroyed, and it is unknown how many times the vehicle rolled.

The driver was cited for first offense operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated, failure to keep vehicle under control, operating a vehicle without insurance, open intoxicants in a motor vehicle and disorderly conduct. His name was not released by the police.

For the Superior Fire Department, the rollover was one of a series of calls Monday. Firefighters responded to a car fire on the Bong Bridge at 4 a.m. Monday and, prior to that, took part in an on-ship rescue at the Midwest Energy Terminal, Edwards said. The Superior Fire Department responded to the 1,000-foot freighter American Integrity at 1 a.m. Monday.

A man had fallen in an open hatch into the hold as the ship was loading coal, about a 45-foot drop, Edwards said. The firefighters were able to pull him out with a Stokes litter basket. He was lowered to the dock with a crane and transported to St. Luke's Hospital in Duluth.