Upcoming outdoor events
? Feb. 9: Candlelight Ski at the Afterhours Ski Trail 5-9 p.m. in Brule. Candles light two miles of trails. Grills, picnic tables and a bonfire provided. Trail passes not required. Sponsored by the Brule River State Forest with volunteers from Br...
- Feb. 9: Candlelight Ski at the Afterhours Ski Trail 5-9 p.m. in Brule. Candles light two miles of trails. Grills, picnic tables and a bonfire provided. Trail passes not required. Sponsored by the Brule River State Forest with volunteers from Brule Valley Ski Club.
- Feb. 15-17: 29th annual Snowshoe Race Weekend at Lyman Lake. The Oakland Volunteer Fire Department hosts the weekend featuring karaoke, a snowshoe archery shoot, a chili cook-off, raffles, music, snowshoe races and more. Proceeds benefit the fire department. For more information on any of the weekend activities, call 399-8078 or Stacy at 399-8657.
- Feb. 16: Outdoor February Fun with the Friends of the Bird Sanctuary at 9:30 a.m. The free event is held at the Bird Sanctuary Clubhouse near Solon Springs. Hot dogs and marshmallows are roasted at an outdoor fire, and hot drinks and cookies are available in the clubhouse. A winter wildlife program, including scavenger hunt and tracking begins at 10 a.m. An outdoor survival class discusses theories and shelter building at 11 a.m. From 9:30 a.m. to noon dog sled rides are offered, and from noon to 1 p.m. there will be sleigh rides. Areas to snowshoe, ski and sled also available. Participants are asked to bring their own equipment, although some snowshoes are available. Call 378-2923 for more information, to contribute cookies and bars or to volunteer.
- Feb. 24: Winter Funfest at Pattison Park 1-3:30 p.m. The 12th annual event offers a number of free family activities including a craft activity, sledding, prizes and a special appearance by Smokey Bear. Free admission to the park from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. Visitors may also use the cross-country ski trails or do snowshoeing on their own. Concessions available. Pattison State Park is 10 miles south of Superior on State Highway 35.
- March 1: Riverview Loppet Cross Country Ski Races at 9 a.m. offers races for youths and adults in the skate and classic styles. The event is sponsored jointly by the Brule Valley Ski Club, the Brule River State Forest and the Brule Lions Club.
- March 1: Eighth annual Brat Fest and Vintage Snowmobile Eat-n-Run 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The Amnicon Drift Dodgers and Superior Storm Riders snowmobile clubs will host the event, to be held at KS & E Bar in Superior. Registration runs 10 a.m. to noon with judging at 1 p.m. Antique and vintage snowmobiles are displayed. A ride in the Superior Forest takes place at 2 p.m. Food and refreshments are served, and door prizes and trophies are awarded. For more information call John at 364-2564 or 363-2375, or call Tom at 398-6665.