Superior utility offers options for customers facing disconnection

Customers behind on their bills are urged to contact the company to set up a payment plan.
An employee from Superior, Water, Light & Power cuts power to a house during a fire on Thursday, Aug. 13, 2020. The company is now encouraging people who have fallen behind on their bills because of the economic challenges related to the pandemic to contact SWL&P to make arrangements to avoid service disruptions. (Jed Carlson /
We are part of The Trust Project.

Superior Water, Light & Power is ready to help customers who fell behind on their electric, water or natural gas bills because of economic challenges since the start of the pandemic.

“Customers who are struggling to pay or have fallen behind on their electric, water or natural gas bill should call us to find out if they’re eligible to set up a payment plan,” said Rob Sandstrom, SWL&P president. “We want to make sure customers are able to connect with available resources and find the best option for avoiding any disruption of their electric, water or natural gas service. We’re here to help.”

In March 2020, the utility suspended residential and commercial disconnections. Like other Wisconsin utilities, the company now is transitioning to normal operations, including the resumption of collection activities.

The company will begin sending out disconnection notices for nonpayment in mid-July and resume disconnections in August. Customers who receive a disconnection notice should contact SWL&P as soon as possible to avoid service disruption.

The utility offers a variety of payment plans and customers should call SWL&P at 800-227-7957 or 715-394-2200 to learn more about their options. Customers who already are on a payment plan are encouraged to call SWL&P to verify that their plan remains active.


SWL&P has also proposed a new payment option, pending approval from the Public Service Commission of Wisconsin, that offers additional resources for customers facing financial hardship because of the pandemic. Details regarding the new payment option will be shared with customers after the PSC gives the plan final approval.

In addition to the payment arrangements offered by SWL&P, Energy Assistance Program dollars are available in Wisconsin, including additional federal dollars through the American Rescue Plan Act passed by Congress in March. Eligible residential customers are encouraged to apply for assistance or refer a family member or friend to financial resources. Even if customers have applied before, additional dollars may be available. Call 800-506-5596 or visit to learn more about energy assistance.

What to read next
The Caribbean eatery is soon relocating from Superior to the former home of Doc Witherspoon's Soul Food Shack.