Packers Player Watch
The Sports Xchange
* LB Jake Ryan practiced in limited fashion Thursday. Ryan, the team's leading tackler, missed essentially the last three games because of an ankle injury. Without Ryan and Martinez available for the victory at Philadelphia on Monday, the Packers had to move Matthews inside to start alongside Joe Thomas.
* CB LaDarius Gunter practiced as a limited participant Thursday. Gunter is dealing with a back injury that came to light following the Monday night win at Philadelphia. The second-year pro has started the last 10 games. If Gunter isn't well enough to play Sunday against Houston, thePackers figure to have enough personnel at cornerback with Damarious Randall, Quinten Rollins and Micah Hyde. Randall, who returned to game action Monday, remains on the injury report this week with a lingering groin issue that limited his practice work Thursday.
* LB Blake Martinez was considered a limited participant in practice Thursday. The rookie starter missed the Monday night victory at Philadelphia because of a knee injury. More on the status of Martinez for playing Sunday against Houston won't be known until Friday or possibly Saturday, when the team will hold a walk-through.
* QB Aaron Rodgers had limited work in practice Thursday, the team's first day on the field since the Monday night victory over the Philadelphia Eagles. Rodgers split some team reps with backup Brett Hundley with the medical staff and coaches mindful about not pushing the star quarterback with his sore left hamstring on a short week. The outlook is Rodgers will be able to play Sunday against the visiting Houston Texans.
* LB Clay Matthews managed to get on the field Thursday for some limited activity. Though the speculation is Matthews won't be able to play Sunday against the Texans because of a separated left shoulder, the team isn't ruling him out just yet. Matthews sustained the injury on a blindside block by Eagles OT Allen Barbre in Green Bay's victory at Philadelphia on Monday night but managed to return to the game.
* RG T.J. Lang didn't practice Thursday, increasing the likelihood the veteran starter won't be available Sunday against the Texans. Lang missed the last two games because of a foot injury. Though Don Barclay was a full participant in practice Thursday as he gets past a shoulder injury, rookie Jason Spriggs stands to make a second straight start in Lang's absence.
Clowney won't play today
Houston Texans defensive end Jadeveon Clowney will not travel with the team when it heads toGreen Bay to play the Packers on Sunday.
Clowney has wrist and elbow injuries that will keep him sidelined.
Clowney has recorded only three sacks this season, but he is tied for fourth in the NFL with a dozen tackles for losses -- a career high.
The former top overall pick in the draft has already missed more than a dozen games in his short career. The Texans are already without J.J. Watt, who suffered a season-ending back injury.
Sunday's game is critical for both teams. The 6-5 Texans lead the AFC South by a half-game while the 5-6 Packers are two games back in the NFC North.
Houston at Green Bay — Green Bay: OUT: CB Demetri Goodson (Knee), LB Blake Martinez (Knee). QUESTIONABLE: CB Ladarius Gunter (Back), G T.J. Lang (Ankle), LB Clay Matthews (Shoulder), CB Damarious Randall (Groin), LB Jake Ryan (Ankle), C JC Tretter (Knee), LB Kyler Fackrell (Hamstring), CB Makinton Dorleant (Undisclosed). Houston: OUT: LB John Simon (Chest), WR Jaelen Strong (Ankle). DOUBTFUL: RB Tyler Ervin (Ribs). QUESTIONABLE: DE Jadeveon Clowney (Elbow), LB Brian Cushing (Back), S Andre Hal (Illness), CB Kareem Jackson (Hamstring), CB Johnathan Joseph (Shin), FB Jay Prosch (Hamstring), NT Vince Wilfork (Groin), NT D.J. Reader (Shoulder).