Duluth church fire caused by electrical wiring
Forum News Service
DULUTH, Minn. -- The Duluth Fire Marshal's Office has determined that the Feb. 18 fire that caused major damage to Gloria Dei Lutheran Church was an accident, caused by electrical wiring.
"The fire started in the void space above the plaster ceiling. The fire burned undetected for hours before smoke reached a smoke detector on the drop ceiling below," Fire Marshal Marnie Grondahl reported in a news release.
The activation of that fire alarm is what prompted the fire department response at about 5:30 a.m. to the church at Sixth Avenue East and Third Street. Damage from the fire was estimated at $900,000.