Weather Forecast


Rotary matches donations 2-to-1

Left to right, Rotary members Warren Bender and Charlie Glazman stand with Second Harvest director Shaye Morris after announcing a 2-to-1 match for donation made by Dec. 31 from Douglas County residents. ((Submitted photo)

Superior Rotary Club 40 announced this week they would match 2-to-1 all donations made to support Second Harvest Northern Lakes Food Bank’s rescue and distribution of food to Superior and Douglas County nonprofit program partners and residents in need.

“During this season of cheer and good will, the Superior Rotary would like to help Superior-Douglas County residents who rely on Second Harvest’s services,” said Warren Bender, past president of the Superior Rotary Club 40. “The proceeds from our Wine and Craft Beer Tasting event will allow us to match 2-to-1 all donations made to Second Harvest.”

Nearly 1-in-5 Superior-Douglas County residents are ‘food insecure,’ which means they do not have access at all times to enough food for a healthy life. One in four of Superior and Douglas County’s children also struggle with hunger. In both cases, Superior and Douglas County ranks higher than the state average.

Nonprofit program partners include Superior Salvation Army, Faith United Methodist Food Shelf, Fresh Water Vineyard Food Shelf, the Boys and Girls Club of Superior, the Challenge Center and others. In addition, the food bank serves people directly as part of its Mobile Food Pantry Program in Gordon and through its produce distributions held on site at Second Harvest’s Duluth facility.

Second Harvest distributes nearly 500,000 pounds of food annually or enough food for 400,000 meals to Superior and Douglas County nonprofit program partners and about 5,500 people in need.

“The timing couldn’t be better,” said Shaye Moris, Second Harvest Northern Lakes Food Bank’s executive director. “The holidays put added stress on families who are already struggling. This match means we’re able to help by providing even more food to Superior-Douglas County residents in need.”

For every dollar donated to the food bank it is able to rescue and distribute enough food for five meals or $10 worth of food. That’s because most of the food is donated so its only cost is transportation, storage and handling of the donated food. Although Superior-Douglas nonprofit programs can help share in the cost of this nationally and regionally donated food only 12 percent comes from programs while a remaining 88 percent must be raised by Second Harvest.

Donations must be made by Tuesday, Dec. 31 to be eligible for matching funds. To make your tax-deductible donation online, visit Second Harvest’s secure website, then select “Superior Rotary Club 40 Match” on the drop down menu or send to Attn: Superior/Douglas County, Second Harvest Northern Lakes Food Bank, 4503 Airpark Boulevard, Duluth MN 55811.