Weather Forecast


Man kills his mother, then himself after shooting at officers during high-speed chase in Minnesota

HUDSON, Wis.—A man stabbed his mother to death Saturday night in rural Hudson before shooting at police in an incident that led to a 50-mile pursuit into Minnesota, eventually ending with the suspect taking his own life, authorities said.

The St. Croix County Sheriff's Office identified the man as Glenwood City, Wis., resident Logan T. Reese. The 28-year-old allegedly killed his mother, identified as 49-year-old Charlene Wold, in Hudson.

Another apparent victim in the case, identified as a 49-year-old man, sustained stab wounds to the head. Scott Knudson, chief deputy for the St. Croix County Sheriff's Office, said that man, whose name was not immediately released, was transported to Regions Hospital in St. Paul.

He is expected to survive, Knudson said, as is another man allegedly attacked with a stick at the Hudson house. That person was treated and released.

A total of five relatives, including Reese and Wold, were involved in the town of Hudson incident.

"It was a very tragic night for the family," he said.

Knudson said Reese was the sole aggressor in the attack, which led to a "rapidly evolving" incident involving multiple agencies.

"It was dangerous for the public, it was dangerous for law enforcement," he said. "It was a concerning situation."

No law enforcement members were injured during the hours-long incident, during which Reese allegedly fired multiple rounds at officers.

According to a news release:

Deputies were called at 11:34 p.m. to the Hudson home for a "violent domestic dispute" where a man, later identified as Reese, had stabbed one family member and beaten another with a stick.

While other family members took shelter in a garage on the property, Wold remained in the house with Reese, who was armed. Deputies entered the house and found Wold with "obvious stab wounds." She was taken to an ambulance before being pronounced dead.

Knudson said it's not clear what led to the attacks.

Deputies unsuccessfully searched the area for Reese before learning he had likely left in a white Pontiac Grand Am before leaving the scene.

As deputies made their way to Reese's apartment around 12:46 a.m. Sunday, a neighbor there reported a fire in Reese's unit.

Knudson said officers continued to investigate the scene of the Glenwood City fire on Sunday. Initial indications appeared the fire was contained to Reese's apartment in the 16-unit complex, Knudson said.

The extent of the fire was not immediately clear.

The incident continued to unfold when a Woodville police officer spotted a car matching the description of Reese's at 1:15 a.m. on Highway 12. The officer followed the car and kept its emergency lights off while waiting for other officers to assist.

While that officer waited, the driver of the suspicious vehicle fired a shot toward the officer. That set off a pursuit that involved an attempt to stop the car with spike strips.

Other Wisconsin agencies joined in the pursuit, including St. Croix County sheriff's deputies, Baldwin police, the Polk County Sheriff's Office, Amery police, St. Croix Falls police and lastly, the Chisago (Minn.) County Sheriff's Office, as the pursuit traversed 50 miles.

The chase ended in Chisago County just across the border in Minnesota, where Reese fired "multiple rounds" at officers before crashing into a median on Highway 8. Reese fired more shots at officers after the crash.

Reese was found dead in his car at 2:05 a.m. He died of a self-inflicted gunshot.

The Chisago County Sheriff's Office said it deployed its SWAT team at the incident, which occurred in Taylors Falls.

Knudson said initial indications were that Reese was the only one shooting during the pursuit.

"I don't think we ever had a chance to get into a position where gunfire would be exchanged," he said.

According to the release, the "very complex case" remains under investigation and is headed up on the Wisconsin side by the St. Croix County Sheriff's Office. Chisago County authorities are leading the investigative effort in Minnesota.

According to Wisconsin online court records, Reese was convicted of carrying a concealed weapon—a misdemeanor—and a second drunken-driving offense at a 2014 St. Croix County court trial. He was acquitted of three other counts of carrying a concealed weapon in the trial.

Knudson said law enforcement was aware of Reese, having responded to different calls at different residences over several years.

"There were several situations where a little extra caution was used" in dealing with Reese, he said.

Mike Longaecker

Mike Longaecker is the regional public safety reporter for RiverTown Multimedia. His coverage area spans St. Croix and Pierce counties. Longaecker served from 2011-2015 as editor of the Woodbury Bulletin. A University of Wisconsin-River Falls graduate, Longaecker previously reported for the Red Wing Republican Eagle and for the Forum Communications Minnesota Capitol Bureau. You can follow him on Twitter at @Longaecker

(715) 426-1072