The University of Wisconsin-Superior will induct eight individuals and one team into its Hall of Fame on Saturday at Mortorelli Gym.
Hockey players Tom Doig and Colin Kendall, multisport standout Diane Martinson, longtime athletic trainer David Kroll, veteran coaches Dave Gerber, Bruce Plante and Bernie Tomzak, longtime fan Jerry Schnell and the 1913 Yellowjacket football team will be enshrined.
Doig, a Duluth native, had 68 goals and 96 assists for UWS from 1976-80, helping lead the Yellowjackets to their first national championship.
Kendall, a two-time All-American, was at UWS from 1998-2003, scoring the tying goal in the 2002 NCAA Division III championship game just before the end of regulation and then winning it with a goal 23 seconds into overtime.
Martinson was a pioneer among female athletes at UWS, competing in basketball, volleyball, badminton, tennis and track and field. She later played for the All American Redheads professional women’s basketball team that was inducted into the National Basketball Hall of Fame in 2012.
Kroll was head athletic trainer at UWS from 1989-2012 before moving into a full-time faculty position.
Gerber, a 1987 UWS graduate, has coached soccer, baseball and wrestling; he was named the Wisconsin Wrestling Coach of the Year in 1995.
Plante, a Cloquet native and former UWS goalie, is considered one of the top high school hockey coaches in Minnesota history, leading Hermantown for 24 years and racking up more than 500 victories and a Class A championship in 2007.
Tomzak, a 1958 UWS graduate who played basketball for four years with the Yellowjackets, had a 32-year teaching and coaching career in Woodville, Wis., and Superior.
Schnell, a Superior native, was a UWS business major who served as Yellowjackets mascot. He is this year’s recipient of the Carl Vergamini Award for his contributions to the UWS athletic department.
The 1913 Yellowjacket football team won the first conference championship in the history of the Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (then the WSUC), when the university was known as the Superior Normal School.