LETTER: Climate change denial goes onThe letter denying global warming in the Sept. 1 Duluth News Tribune evidences the practice of climate change denial is still alive and kicking. The author cherry picked average global temperature increases within the last 15 years.
The letter denying global warming in the Sept. 1 Duluth News Tribune evidences the practice of climate change denial is still alive and kicking. The author cherry picked average global temperature increases within the last 15 years. It was 0.11 degrees Fahrenheit, but this is an average rate, and it applies to average rates (per decade) since 1880. Since 1970, the average rate per decade was 0.28 degrees Fahrenheit — almost three times the rate per decade since 1880.
These are average rates worldwide, and scientists have never claimed temperatures would always be higher in any given region. Since carbon dioxide increases temperatures in some regions — it adds to the overall energy affecting the weather — such as the increasing frequency of powerful hurricanes and tornadoes, extreme heat waves, increased danger from forest fires, flooding and more severe blizzards. Only a few degrees change, can greatly affect the planet.
The term “climate change” has been commonly used for many decades and encompasses scientific study of all the different environmental effects associated with global warming — ocean acidity, melting arctic ice, gradual changes in natural environments, and the threat to perhaps a million species by 2100 — not just higher temperatures.
If Scientists are pushing some kind of evil plot, then all 97 percent of them, who confirm it, must be evil people. And, since they have been making predictions about weather patterns happening right now — over three decades ago — their treachery must depend heavily on dumb luck. The remaining 3 percent who continue to deny scientific evidence must be employed by oil companies and carbon using and producing industries — just like the industry scientists that denied the harm of cigarettes for big tobacco, so effectively, for so many years.
Deniers have essentially convinced us to have our taxes done by bricklayers or carpenters rather than accountants who really know how. Wouldn’t dedicated Nobel laureate climate scientist be more knowledgeable than the scientists working for Exxon, Mobile or BP?
The AP recently apologized for a misleading photo of a small lake or pond; 300 miles from the Arctic as “proof” global warming does not exist. But actually hundreds, even thousands, of verifiable photos and videos show rapidly melting glaciers. The method to this denier’s madness is like showing a photo of pleasant areas miles from Dachau or Auschwitz and claiming it proves the holocaust never happened.
Peter W. Johnson,