Raspberry Island history 150 years and countingThe Raspberry Island Light was first seen the evening of July 20, 1863. For 150 years, the light has guided boats into and out of the West Channel through the Apostle Islands.
The Raspberry Island Light was first seen the evening of July 20, 1863. For 150 years, the light has guided boats into and out of the West Channel through the Apostle Islands. The original fifth-order Fresnel lens provided the light until the mid-1950s, when it was removed and placed in what is now the State Historical Society Museum on Madeline Island. Since that time, the United States Coast Guard has maintained an automated light on the island.
In 2006 and 2007, the National Park Service remodeled the Raspberry Island Lighthouse and furnished the lighthouse keeper’s living quarters as it may have appeared in the early 1920s. Park rangers lead tours through the lighthouse 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily from mid-June to mid-September. The tours cost $3 per person.
In celebration of the 150th birthday of the Raspberry Island Light, Apostle Islands Cruises will conduct a cruise from Bayfield to Raspberry Island on Saturday. Reservations for this cruise can be made by calling Apostle Islands Cruises at 715-779-3925. For additional information, call the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore at (715) 779-3397.