Utility theft stops short of fireAn apparent attempt to steal power from a meter box nearly led to a trailer fire in Maple Thursday.
An apparent attempt to steal power from a meter box nearly led to a trailer fire in Maple Thursday.
A neighbor found a power cord coming out of her own meter box going to the trailer home next door at about 10:30 that morning, according to the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office report. A meter technician was already at the site on South Park Lane when Deputy Robert Smith arrived.
The meter was running very fast and the extension cord was smoking all the way to the trailer. It had burned through in numerous places all along the cord, which entered the trailer through a back window.
Smith entered the trailer, knocking on the door, than opening it when there was no answer. He found the trailer was full of smoke and the Maple Volunteer Fire Department was called.
Although there was no fire, the cord, which was connected to a circuit breaker box in the bedroom, was lying across clothes in the back bedroom and the cord had burned through.
The meter to the trailer had been pulled on May 15, the meter technician said.
The report was sent to the Douglas County District Attorney’s Office for possible theft of utilities charges against the trailer’s owner.