Discarded cigarette to blame for Connors Point grass fireA small grass fire on Connors Point on Monday morning may have been started by a cigarette butt.
By: Superior Telegram, Superior Telegram
A small grass fire on Connors Point on Monday morning may have been started by a cigarette butt.
The fire was reported at 12:45 a.m. Monday, according to Battalion Chief Steve Edwards with the Superior Fire Department. The fire started next to the road at 220 Main Street, across the street from Exodus Machines. About two acres burned before firefighters cleared the scene at 1:10 a.m.
Edwards said based on where the fire originated, it could have been started by a cigarette butt. Although recent rain has helped decrease fire danger and green up grass in the area, Edwards said, the tall, dead brown grass left over from fall is still very dry.
Edwards said people should use common sense to reduce fire danger. Drivers should not discard cigarette butts out the window, he said, and home fires should be in a fire pit or commercial holder. Barbeques should be lit away from the house, as well.
Fire danger in Douglas County was high Tuesday, meaning burning in barrels, debris piles and grass or wooded areas with an annual permit was prohibited. Fire danger can be checked daily at http://dnr.wi.gov, under burning restrictions, or call 888-947-2876.