Early morning fire destroys Gordon homeA blaze destroyed a home in Gordon on Tuesday morning, but no injuries were reported.
By: Superior Telegram, Superior Telegram
A blaze destroyed a home in Gordon on Tuesday morning, but no injuries were reported.
The Gordon Volunteer Fire Department responded to a reported house fire around 1:36 a.m. Tuesday. The homeowner had gotten up to put another log on the fire in the wood burner when she heard her smoke detector going off, according to a Douglas County Sheriff’s Department report. She found there was a fire in the bedroom where the chimney was. The woman tried to put it out with a bowl of water but left when the smoke started getting too thick, according to the report.
“When arriving on scene the fire fighters found flames and heavy smoke coming from the house,” said Gordon Fire Chief Mike Chmielecki. “The knock down was quick but it took about four hours to make sure it was out.” Mutual aid was requested from Wascott and Solon Springs fire departments.
The house appeared to be a total loss, Chmielecki said. The home was insured and the homeowner told Deputy Cliff Coulthard she had family to stay with. The Red Cross is helping the owner, Chmielecki said.
No cause has been listed for the fire yet, he said. According to Coulthard’s report, the blaze was consistent with a chimney fire.