Counting the sweet, simple pleasures of life — againEvery so often, I set out to compile a list of 100 sweet, simple pleasures of life.
Every so often, I set out to compile a list of 100 sweet, simple pleasures of life. The end-product usually numbers more than 100, and even then my list isn’t complete. I hope it never is. I’ll bet you’ve got at least a hundred or so of your own. Here’s a few to get us started (again).
1. Sleeping in.
2. Catching the sunrise.
3. Listening to your 10-year-old laugh in his sleep.
4. Turning your pillow over to get to the cool side.
5. The exuberance of birds in the morning.
6. The exuberance of young children in the morning.
7. The calm before the storm.
8. Counting the seconds between the lightning bolt and clap of thunder.
9. A frozen Kit Kat.
10. Melting snow.
11. Daffodil crocus tulip.
12. A baby’s toes.
13. When a baby’s wrists are so chubby it looks like she has rubber bands around them.
14. A baby’s reaction upon eating peas for the first time.
15. Trying something new – at any age.
16. “Green Eggs and Ham”
17. Hearing someone call, “Mom,” and knowing they mean you.
18. Hearing someone call, “Mom,” and knowing it isn’t you.
19. The gift of gab.
20. The gift of silence.
21. A friend who offers both at just the right time.
22. Birthday cake.
23. With more ice cream than cake.
24. And not too many candles.
25. When your new puppy learns to go outside for … you know.
26. Clothes fresh off the line.
27. Polished toenails.
28. Wearing sandals.
29. A dad who can fix anything.
30. Including a broken heart.
31. A first grader’s toothless grin.
32. When the Tooth Fairy gets tired and nods off before fulfilling her duties.
33. Believing in magic.
34. Summer rain.
35. Iced coffee.
36. With real cream.
37. Having your best friend on speed dial.
38. A good book.
39. A long afternoon.
40. A pickup game of basketball.
41. Shirts versus skins.
42. Kick the can.
43. The sound of a lawn mower in the distance.
44. Lemonade from a lemonade stand.
45. Iris lupine lily.
46. A bouquet of dandelions.
47. Dirt from the garden under your fingernails.
48. Corn on the cob with butter dripping.
49. A ripe tomato, fresh from the garden with basil and mozzarella cheese.
50. Cold water straight from the hose.
51. A tiny air conditioner, in the window, running full blast in the bedroom.
52. Riding with the windows down.
53. And the radio blaring.
54. A dog in the front seat riding with the windows down.
55. “Go Dog Go”
56. A class reunion.
57. A family reunion.
58. The smell of new paint.
59. The look of new paint.
60. New paint that’s dried without anyone touching or sitting on it.
61. A long weekend.
62. With no projects.
63. “Need some help with that?”
64. A husband with power tools.
65. Running into an old friend at the super store.
66. Laughing so hard your eyes water and your stomach hurts.
67. Eating out, on a Tuesday, just because.
68. Chrysanthemum monarda sunflower.
69. “Lilly’s Purple Plastic Purse”
70. When your kitty hunts houseflies.
71. When your kitty and puppy take a nap together.
72. The top of the fridge (where you’ve got the good chocolate hidden).
73. When your youngest says he loves you from the bottom of his heart.
74. A 14-year-old’s orthodonically straight smile.
75. When your 16-year-old returns home with the car for the night.
76. Camping out in the tent in the backyard with the kids.
77. Those fold-up chairs that fit in a bag.
78. Sitting outside at a high school football game on a crisp fall evening.
79. Those hand warmer things.
80. A full moon.
81. A full house.
82. An empty nest.
83. Signing up for a new fitness class.
84. Sore muscles the day after the first class.
85. Laugh lines.
86. When your husband says your name.
87. Squeeze cheese that isn’t really cheese.
88. Bacon, bacon, bacon.
89. “Good Night Moon”
90. “Good night, Mom”
91. Waking up at 3 a.m. with nothing to worry about.
92. Your favorite pen.
93. Hiding your favorite pen from the rest of the family.
94. Forgetting the location of your favorite pen because someone (perhaps) moved it.
95. A husband with a sense of humor.
96. Your teenager noticing your haircut — two days after the fact.
97. A decorated spruce tree — in the living room
98. A ceramic iguana.
99. Created by your daughter’s boyfriend.
100. An old fluffy quilt.
101. Made by your mom when you went off to college.
102. A late night phone call from your daughter at college, just to say hi.
103. Missing your mom.
104. A hug from your dad.
105. Holly mistletoe poinsettia.
106. Just about any Eric Clapton song.
107. “I love you,” from anyone, anytime, anywhere.
108. The small kindness of bringing you a cup of coffee — every morning — after 25 years of marriage.
109. Meeting a new friend.
110. Making lists.
I went over 100 — again. Such is life, when it is filled with simple pleasures. Happy counting on your end.
Follow Slices of Life on Facebook at Slices of Life. Jill Pertler is an award-winning syndicated columnist, playwright and author of “The Do-It-Yourselfer’s Guide to Self-Syndication” Email her at email@example.com; or visit her website at http://marketing-by-design.home.mchsi.com/.
Tags: opinionMore from around the web