Janesville Fire caused by grill does $250,000 damage to homeA malfunctioning grill caused $250,000 damage to a ranch home on Janesville's east side.
By: The Janesville Gazette, Wis., Superior Telegram
JANESVILLE -- A malfunctioning grill caused $250,000 damage to a ranch home on Janesville's east side.
At 5:47 p.m. Friday, Janesville firefighters were called 3205 Canterbury Drive for the report of a house fire, according to a news release from the Janesville Fire Department.
When firefighters arrived the building had already sustained a large amount of fire damage and had spread into the attic. The fire also had spread to a neighboring home.
"The family had been grilling for about 30 minutes, and they had just sat down to eat when they heard a hiss outside," said Cmdr. Bill Ruchti of the Janesville Fire Department.
They saw then that the grill was on fire. A short time later, they heard an explosion.
The home's two residents, James Lepard and Robert Sass, and their two dogs, escaped without injury, according to the news release.
Two cats and a bird were lost in the fire.
Structure damage was listed at $150,000. Damage to contents was listed at $100,000.
Seven units and 21 firefighters responded to the scene.
Red Cross volunteers helped the residents with shelter, clothing, food, pet care and other necessities after the fire.
The fire is still under investigation, according to the news release.
(c)2012 The Janesville Gazette (Janesville, Wis.)
Visit The Janesville Gazette (Janesville, Wis.) at www.gazetteextra.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services