Careless burning leads to fire in Superior's north endCareless burning is being blamed for a fire that broke out behind 120 Hughitt Ave. Monday afternoon.
By: Superior Telegram, Superior Telegram
Careless burning is being blamed for a fire that broke out behind 120 Hughitt Ave. Monday afternoon. The fire, which was reported shortly after 1 p.m., ignited junked tires and railroad ties being stored behind the building, sending a plume of thick black smoke into the air before firefighters got it under control. Battalion Chief Vern Johnson with the Superior Fire Department said the fire was caused by careless burning, and spread to grass in the nearby Halvor Lines lot before it was halted. Firefighters cleared the scene at 2:08 p.m. No injuries were reported and Johnson said the damage caused by the fire was negligable.
He cautioned that despite the puddles on the ground, dry dead grass is still a fire hazard.
“Even though we’ve had a lot of rain, this still is not burning season,” Johnson said. “Everything’s got to be greened up before people can burn.” Burning permits are needed for anything other than a cooking or warming fire, the battalion chief said. To burn in city limits, a permit is needed from the Superior Fire Department. Burning permits are free and are also available from local Emergency Fire Wardens, over the phone1-888-WIS-BURN (947-2876), or on the internet at dnr.wi.gov and enter the keyword “fire.” No permit had been issued for the property where the fire started, Johnson said.