Lake Superior Magazine announces photo contest winnersA blazing sunset reflected in the waters on the mesmerizing shores of Miners Beach, Mich., earned the Grand Prize title in the 17th annual Lake Superior Photo Contest, announced in the February/March issue of Lake Superior Magazine, currently on the newsstands.
A blazing sunset reflected in the waters on the mesmerizing shores of Miners Beach, Mich., earned the Grand Prize title in the 17th annual Lake Superior Photo Contest, announced in the February/March issue of Lake Superior Magazine, currently on the newsstands.
For that photo, Steve Perry from Sylvania, Ohio, will get a $200 prize, a one-year subscription to Lake Superior Magazine and a 2012 Lake Superior wall calendar. It was one of more than 1,300 images entered into the contest from photographers in 139 cities in 17 states and Canada.
“The entries showed a revitalized interest in photography and expanded the ability to capture the beauty of Lake Superior,” said magazine Editor Konnie LeMay.
Other top-prize winners included:
• First place Land/Lakescape: An icy shore view north of Split Rock Lighthouse in Minnesota by Nic Caine of Knife River, Minnesota.
• Second place Land/Lakescape: Eerie remains of an 1883 shipwreck taken in Au Sable Beach, Michigan, by John McCormick of Edmore, Michigan.
• First place Nature: A perfect pair of swans in the Seney National Wildlife Refuge in Michigan by LaMont Kraft of Seymour, Wisconsin.
• Second place Nature: Snowy deer in the wintery woods near Grand Marais, Minnesota, by Scott Herrly of Grand Marais.
• First place People/Humor: An amused toddler splashing in the waters at Brighton Beach, Minn., by Corey Beste of Duluth.
• Second place People/Humor: Sandy hands hold treasures found in Eagle Harbor, Michigan, by Jean Stauffer of Coon Rapids, Minnesota.
First place recipients will receive a magazine subscription and a wall calendar while second place winners get a mini Lake Superior calendar. The winners and honorable mention awards are featured in the February/March issue of the magazine and at www.LakeSuperior.com. All winners, including honorable mention and finalists, get an award certificate.
The deadline for the 18th annual Lake Superior Photo Contest is Oct. 15. See details at www.LakeSuperior.com or get the rules by sending a self-addressed, stamped envelope for the rules to Lake Superior Photo Contest, P.O. Box 16417, Duluth, MN 55816-0417.