Bathroom fire causes $5,000 in damage to homeA Monday morning fire caused about $5,000 damage to a single-family home at 24 N. 24th St. No injuries were reported from the fire caused by the bathroom ceiling fan assembly.
A Monday morning fire caused about $5,000 damage to a single-family home at 24 N. 24th St. No injuries were reported from the fire caused by the bathroom ceiling fan assembly.
Superior firefighters responded to the call at 10:43 a.m. Monday. A neighbor walking by the home saw smoke coming from the eves and ceiling vents and knocked on the door, according to Battalion Chief Scott Gordon of the Superior Fire Department. Three family members exited the building and called 911.
“They got out before the smoke detector started going off,” Gordon said, although it would have gone off in another minute or two.
The fire was contained to the bathroom and spread to the ceiling.
Firefighters had to rip the entire ceiling out of the bathroom to get access to the burning and smoldering insulation.
Gordon said he paid extra attention to rotating firefighters who were battling the bathroom blaze and keeping them hydrated due to the hot, humid weather. Firefighters cleared the scene at 12:14 p.m.
The Red Cross provided the family with three days in a local hotel. Hopefully, Gordon said, that will be enough time for the building’s owner to get a claim started and get it fixed.
“Our goal is to get the family back into that house as quickly as we can,” he said.