Donor challenges communityWhen a family of five was displaced from their Superior townhouse in Linden Court Sunday morning due to a fire, the local community stepped up to help them – especially an anonymous Superior businessman.
By: Superior Telegram, Superior Telegram
When a family of five was displaced from their Superior townhouse in Linden Court Sunday morning due to a fire, the local community stepped up to help them – especially an anonymous Superior businessman.
“This very sincere man, who is one of our customers, graciously donated $1,000 and is asking others in our community to provide donations – matching or not,” said Joe Konradt, President and CEO of National Bank of Commerce. “Every amount is of help to this family.”
The family – two parents and three children – safely evacuated the townhouse before firefighters arrived. While they managed to rescue their Christmas presents, the family lost nearly everything else.
“We have nothing,” said one of the parents. “We’re starting over.”
The fire was started by a television set in a bedroom, according to Fire Investigator David Johnson with the Superior Fire Department. Firefighters contained the blaze in the bedroom, but heat, smoke and water caused an estimated $30,000 in structural damage.
People wishing to donate money for the family can mail or drop off a check (no cash please) to the 1127 Tower Ave. National Bank of Commerce location in Superior. Make checks payable to Northland American Red Cross. In the memo line write “Superior Holiday Fire Donation.” Without that memo, the family said the donation will go directly to the Red Cross. Donations will be accepted until Jan. 31 at the bank.
The family is also in need of household items, furniture – in particular beds and dressers – and clothing for a 6-year-old boy and 9-year-old girl. To donate these items, call (218) 270-6011.
National Bank of Commerce will keep a tally of the monetary donations in its lobby as the amount climbs.
“Our community is very strong,” said Konradt. “The people really take to heart helping each other. We’re honored that our customer came to us to start this challenge with his kick-off donation. We’ll do what we can to assist him in aiding the family.”
Although the Superior Fire Department has responded to relatively few house fires this winter, Johnson urged residents to stay vigilant. Working smoke detectors should be located in every sleeping area and on every floor. They serve as a warning and, because of early detection, cut down on fire damage.
“Have them,” Johnson said. “Have them working.”
In addition, a fire extinguisher should be placed on each floor of the residence in an accessible area that is close to the exit.