The Superior High School girls tennis team won its third straight match by a 4-3 score as the Spartans defeated Duluth Central Thursday evening at the SHS tennis courts.
“This was a huge win for us,” SHS coach Pete Conley said. “A team is truly measured by how they respond to a loss. The last time we played Central we got beat 5-2 and this proves how much they have progressed over the last couple of weeks.”
Carly Connor, Natalie Burger and Raya Kosey won singles matches for the Spartans while Christine Johnstad and Sarah Nikstad won at No. 2 doubles.
“Carly had an awesome match,” Conley said. “She was down 0-5 in the first set and came back to win that set 7-5, and then took the second set 6-2. She had a slow start, but finished very strong.
The Spartans started last week with wins over Duluth Denfeld and Duluth Marshall.
“I am always extremely proud of these girls, this week just shows why I am so proud of them,” Conley said. “We won all three matches this week against very formidable opponents. This team should be very proud of their accomplishments.”
The Spartans host Cloquet Tuesday and Duluth East Thursday. Both matches begin at 4 p.m.
Superior 4, Central 3
1. Megan Harold (C) def. Rikki Berchild 6-3, 6-1
2. Carly Connor (S) def. Brittney Duhaime 7-5, 6-2
3. Natalie Burger (S) def. Naomi Robinson 6-2, 6-3
4. Raya Kosey (S) def. Hayley Smith 6-0, 6-0
1. Amanda Pihlaja/Molly Denney (C) def. Amanda Peterson/Chelsea Breimon 6-0, 6-0
2. Christine Johnstad/Sarah Nikstad (S) def. Maritha Dalager/Lisa Erickson 7-5, 6-4
3. Rachael Kerr/Caitlyn Lavalier (C) def. Sara Balcer/Jillisa Gallindo 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (7-4)