The Superior High School girls tennis team swept all three doubles matches on its way to a 4-3 win over the Duluth Denfeld Hunters Tuesday night at the Wheeler tennis courts in Duluth.
Winning doubles matches for the Spartans were Rikki Berchild and Carly Connor, Amanda Peterson and Chelsea Breimon and Christine Johnstad and Bettye Nelson.
“I was happy to see all of our doubles teams come out with a win,” SHS coach Pete Conley said. “We’ve been working a lot on doubles strategies and it is starting to pay off. We still aren’t where we need to be, but we are improving.”
Superior’s Raya Kosey also won the No. 3 singles match.
“Raya has been playing very well for us,” Conley said. “She’s been playing better with every match. She is finding her opponents weaknesses early and capitalizing on those weaknesses. Her athletic ability and speed are huge assets in her game.”
The Spartans are at Hermantown at 4 p.m. Thursday.
Superior 4, Denfeld 3
1. Megan Torgerson (D) def Natalie Burger 7-5, 6-1
2. Whitney Morgan (D) def Sarah Nikstad 6-1, 6-1
3. Raya Kosey (S) def Kristina Bentley 6-0, 6-1
4. Jen Turner (D) def Sara Balcer 6-2, 6-2
1. Rikki Berchild/Carly Connor (S) def Fonta Zimm/Christina Foxley 6-3, 6-2
2. Amanda Peterson/Chelsea Breimon (S) def Anna Fry/Eryn Mlodzyniec 1-6,6-2,6-3
3. Christine Johnstad/Bettye Nelson (S) def Maia Peterson/Ashley Parrish 6-2, 6-1