Report: Favre will announce plans by Friday
By: By Chip Scoggins and Judd Zulgad, Minneapolis Star Tribune, Superior Telegram
Brett Favre said last week that he will end all the speculation by July 30, but the retired quarterback might give the Vikings a decision before then.
NFL.com columnist Thomas George reported that Favre will announce whether he intends to play for the Vikings this season by Friday, according to people close to Favre.
The report said Favre believes his surgically repaired right arm can hold up for an entire season, but that he “questions whether he wants to endure the toil of a training camp, a preseason, and all of the mandatory NFL minutiae.”
Those concerns, however, are not expected to prevent Favre from coming out of retirement for his 19th NFL season.
Vikings coach Brad Childress said Monday that he did not know of any pending announcement. “I’m not aware of any change in [Favre’s] status,” he said. “There is no change in status.”
Favre told the Associated Press last week that he would give the Vikings his answer by the July 30 report date for training camp. Favre, who is working out with a high school team in Hattiesburg, Miss., four days a week, said his right arm feels good after having surgery in late May to repair the partially torn biceps.
“I’m trying to get everything to where I feel 100 percent when I go in,” he told the AP. “I can’t go in any less. When you’re 39 years old, it’s hard enough. But it’s getting there.”
Favre continues to work out with the players at Oak Grove High School in Hattiesburg. A reporter for the Hattiesburg American newspaper estimated that 95 percent of the 50 or so passes Favre attempted on Friday were "spot on," with "plenty of zip." The reporter added that Favre was hitting the high school receivers in stride.
– Copyright (c) 2009, Minneapolis Star Tribune/Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.