Northland Foods buys Poplar taco shell facilityMike Paul, CEO of Northland Foods and Distribution Company in Superior announced today his company bought the former General Mills taco shell manufacturing plant in Poplar, Wisconsin.
By: By Beth Jett/FOX 21 News, Superior Telegram
Mike Paul, CEO of Northland Foods and Distribution Company in Superior announced today his company bought the former General Mills taco shell manufacturing plant in Poplar, Wisconsin.
The plant shut down last September, leaving more than 100 people without jobs.
Paul told FOX 21 News he sealed the deal with General Mills at 11 a.m., but declined to say how much he paid for it.
Paul said Northland Foods plans to consolidate its two operations in Superior to the Poplar facility and eventually expand.
"I am happy that I will be able to stay and expand my business in Douglas County, " he said.
Paul started Northland Foods in 1996 and has 16 employees.
The company distributes fresh produce, dairy, cheese and eggs. Paul says 80 percent of their clients are grocery stores. The remaining 20 percent are restaurants, hospitals, schools, and senior citizen centers.
Paul would not elaborate on specifics about his future plans of expansion or hiring more employees. He praised Andy Lisak of the Douglas County Development Association for helping him reach a deal with General Mills on the Poplar facility.