Man may face charge of attempted murderThe man accused of battering and strangling two young women during a domestic abuse incident in Superior Saturday
The man accused of battering and strangling two young women during a domestic abuse incident in Superior Saturday could be facing attempted murder charges.
The 37-year-old suspect was arrested in Duluth following a police chase, according to Superior Assistant Police Chief Chuck LaGesse. He said the man is accused of battering the victims and strangling both of them into unconsciousness during the altercation, which took place about 4:41 a.m. The suspect allegedly punched one of the victims in the stomach although he knew she is pregnant.
One of the women was able to escape. She ran to the Holiday Station at 2111 Tower Ave. and contacted a Superior Police Department officer. By the time authorities responded to the attack scene, LaGesse said, the other victim had been able to flee the car and run to a nearby house for help.
Alerted of the incident, Duluth police attempted to stop a vehicle the suspect was driving at about 1 p.m. Saturday, according to a Duluth Police Department new release. The driver fled and a pursuit continued to the entrance ramp of the Bong Bridge. There, he lost control of the vehicle and was taken into custody. No one was injured. The man could face charges including possession of stolen property, criminal damage to property and fleeing an officer, according to the Duluth Police Department.
Reports on the Superior incident were not available as of press time. LaGesse expected them to be signed and filed with the Douglas County District Attorney’s office by Tuesday. The suspect, who is currently being held in St. Louis County Jail, will have to be extradited to face Douglas County charges. LaGesse said those charges could include two counts of substantial battery, operating a motor vehicle without the owner’s consent and attempted murder.