Sections

Weather Forecast

Close
Advertisement

Superior fire damages apartment, one treated for smoke inhalation

Email Sign up for Breaking News Alerts
news Superior, 54880
Superior Wisconsin 1226 Ogden Ave. Ste. 1 54880

Superior Telegram

A fire that did $30,000 damage to a Superior apartment building and sent one man to the hospital this morning was caused by careless use of smoking materials. The Superior Fire Department responded to 1712 Hughitt Ave. at 1:18 a.m. today for a report of a structure fire. Units arrived to find a fire in the second floor front apartment of the six-unit apartment building, according to Battalion Chief Steve Edwards. The fire was brought under control and contained to the original apartment. One man, the tenant of the apartment where the fire started, was treated for smoke inhalation and brought to Essentia Hospital Superior for observation. No Fire Department personnel were injured, despite the frigid temperatures and wind. Damage was estimated at $30,000 and the building’s tenants were evacuated.

Advertisement
Advertisement

“Everyone had somewhere to go,” Edwards said. The building heat remains on and first floor tenants should be able to return to their apartments today, according to the battalion chief. The fire was caused by smoking materials in a couch and spread from there to the rest of the apartment, Edwards said.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
randomness